The Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is an important conference for talent recruitment. It aims to provide a platform for academic exchanges among young scholars at home and abroad, to promote interdisciplinary and academic innovation, and discuss the approach for the construction of world-class universities and disciplines. Through the recruitment of world-class talents, we plan to build SUSTech into a high-level research university with unique characteristics in the world.
1. Under age of 40(born after 1 January 1980);
2. Doctoral degree obtained from internationally renowned universities and institutes; or Ph.D. degrees from Chinese universities with more than 3 years of working abroad, with achievements in related fields or good potential for further development; scholars with academic influence in the related field. Scholars from all areas are welcome.
Registration Date: Jan 3, 2020(Fri)
Date of the Forum: Jan 4-5, 2020
An introduction of SUSTech, academic presentations will be arranged during the forum.
Please submit your CV and one page cover letter to institutional mailbox of Department of Mathematics (email@example.com), entitled “SUSTech Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum Application-Mathematics” for evaluation. We will evaluate your application and send out invitation as soon as possible. Please send materials at your earliest convenience since the registration is limited.
The application will close on December 15, 2019. Successful applicants will receive the invitation before December 20, 2019.
Travel & Accommodation
1. Free accommodation and lodging will be provided.
2. Travels: All invited participants need to purchase their own tickets (economy class). We will provide travel reimbursement for the actual cost of tickets from December 20, 2019 to January 20, 2020 (maximum CNY 12,000 per person).
Ms. Airong Liu
Salary and Benefits
For faculty of SUSTech awarded with national talent plans, the following salary and benefits package will be provided:
1. Globally competitive (including US, HK and Singapore) salary;
2. According to the recently released policy of Guangdong Province，income tax of qualified high-level talents will be compensated by local government to a maximum of 15%;
3. A total of CNY 2.75 million living and housing subsidies (national, provincial and Shenzhen Peacock B)，with apartment inside campus or housing allowance of leasing outside; An extra yearly subsidy of CNY 500,000 will be awarded to scholars with “Pearl River Talents Plan” (longest for 5 years);
4. Insurance：Shenzhen’s highest level of retirement insurance, medical insurance, unemployment insurance, industrial injury insurance, maternity insurance and housing accumulation funds. Special high-level health insurance is negotiable;
5. Lab space about 150 square meters;
6. At least 1 PhD student per year and total 5 post-doctoral fellows support, with yearly subsidy of CNY 180,000 from Shenzhen government for each post-doctoral fellow; Self-determination of hiring research assistant professors (RAPs) with competitive research fund support for RAPs.
7. A total of approximate CNY 8~12 million research fund; assistance to apply for other competitive national, provincial and Shenzhen grants；
8. Permanent residence or resident visa service of scholar and family (spouse and children); Service of children’s education in SUSTech affiliated preschool, primary school and middle school; Spouse’s employment service.
Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a research-oriented public university founded in Shenzhen, China’s innovation center, to serve as a model for reforming the education system and modernizing the national university system. SUSTech has learned from world-class research institutions spanning the globe and has planned its academic disciplines based on the major needs and strategic industries emerging around the Pearl River Delta region. With a major focus on science and engineering, SUSTech still has substantial research focuses in medicine, humanities and social services, to maximize the potential for new ideas across disciplines for new knowledge, new technologies and social development. With the characteristic of research, innovation and entrepreneurship, the unique spirit of hard work, SUSTech aims to attract high-quality talents to its faculty, cultivate outstanding and innovative talents, achieve internationally excellent research outcomes, advance knowledge and promote the application of science and technology, and to become a world-class research university.
Currently, SUSTech has 18 departments/schools including mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, earth and space sciences, statistics and data science, electronics and electrical engineering, materials science and engineering, ocean science and engineering, computer science and engineering, environmental science and engineering, mechanical and energy engineering, mechanics and aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, finance, etc. There are about 800 faculties，including about 380 tenure/tenure-track professors, 27 academicians and fellows of academies; more than 50% of faculties are high-level talents. There are 6470 students in SUSTech, including 4205 high quality undergraduate students and 2214 graduate students. Since 2016, according to National science and technology statistics of ordinary colleges and universities, SUSTech's research fund of per faculty member has kept more than CNY 1 million for three years, ranking among the top 5 universities in China. Hitherto, SUSTech has been granted 9 Guangdong Provision-level and 27 Shenzhen City-level research institutes/laboratories. In 2019, SUSTech was ranked No. 26 in “Nature Index” among all mainland universities of China. The “Nature Index 2018 Rising Stars” showed that among world's 100 fastest-rising organizations, SUSTech was ranked 4th in the list, which is No. 1 among young universities established after 1988. On September 12th, 2019, Times Higher Education (THE) released its THE World University Rankings 2020, with Southern University of Science and Technology maintaining its top ten ranking in mainland China, ranking equal ninth in mainland China and between 301st and 350th in the world; especially, SUSTech maintains the highest score in terms of citation among all universities in mainland China, and has maintained a top three position in international outlook across mainland China.
The schools, departments and institutes of SUSTech welcome all eligible young scholars at home and abroad to apply and attend the Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum!
The SUSTech Mathematics Department was founded in June 2015. As of the 2019- 2020 academic year, the Department consists of 44 faculty members, 101 graduate students, and 311 undergraduate majors. The Department is currently located in Block (Building) 3, Hui Yuan (Wisdom Valley), 1088, Xueyuan Boulevard. Our administrative office is situated in Room 401 on the fourth floor.
The Department offers undergraduate degrees in the following areas:
Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
Our graduate program (master and doctoral) covers nearly all fields of mathematical sciences. In addition, the Department also offers joint Ph.D. programs with a few well-known overseas and Hong Kong/Macao universities providing excellent opportunities for prospective students.
Our faculty members’ research covers a broad range of areas including Mathematics (dynamical systems, algebra and combinatorics, algebraic number theory, PDEs, mathematical physics and differential geometry, etc.), Computational and Applied Mathematics (applied mathematics, numerical analysis, computational fluid dynamics, scientific computing, inverse problems, data science, etc.), Probability and Statistics, and Financial Mathematics.
The Department is well-funded for its research effort. In the last four years, our faculty members have successfully obtained 48 new external research grants (33 at the national level), totaling over 22 million RMB. The success rate of our faculty’s grant application to China’s National Natural Science Foundation is among the highest in the nation.
The Department enjoys an outstanding faculty. Most of our senior faculty members have had tenured positions in leading Universities in the US, Canada, Australia, and European Countries. Most of our junior faculty have had multiple years of teaching and research experiences overseas, after receiving their degrees in some of the top universities in the world. Our faculty members have been invited to speak at major international conferences such as ICM, obtained distinguished honors such as membership to the Chinese Academy of Sciences and National Science Award, asked to serve on the editorial boards of more than 30 international research journals, and published in prestigious journals such as Annals of Mathematics and Inventiones Mathematicae.
As the Department continues to grow, we are actively recruiting new faculty members, postdocs, visitors and graduate students. We welcome outstanding candidates to join us in our exciting journey to become a first-rate mathematical department in the world.